"The Shelbyville High School Alumni Hall of Fame exists to recognize exemplary Shelbyville High School graduates who contribute significantly to their communities and/or professions, who achieve academic or professional excellence, and who positively promote Shelbyville Central Schools."
Criteria to be considered:
Nominations may be made by alumni, parents, current Shelbyville students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community members. If you are interested in making a nomination, you must fill out an alumni nomination form and return it to Mr. Evans. Posthumous nominations are accepted. Nomination packets are kept on file for a period of three (3) years. Recipients are honored at a special reception during halftime of a home football game each fall at Shelbyville High School.
Nominations are accepted online or through a printed nomination form.
Click Here for a Printable Hall of Fame Nomination Form
Jean Ann graduated from Shelbyville High School in 1964 and she attributes growing up in Shelbyville as the greatest gift of her life. Jean Ann channeled her energy into swimming where she ultimately won at 7 national championships in breaststroke, setting 5 world records, twice named All-American, at age 14 won every race in Europe on USA team and alternate 1960 Rome Olympics.
Finding ways to move beyond her ADD and dyslexia diagnosis, Jean Ann graduated with degrees from Indiana University and Butler University. Her own challenges as a student-led her to be the most requested teacher. Outside of a traditional classroom, Jean Ann aided adults helping them to improve interviewing skills and basic reading skills so they could gain meaningful employment.
Age thirty-three, Jean Ann began her career in medical sales selling instruments and high-tech equipment to surgeons and operating rooms of hospitals. She used her same drive and goal setting from swimming years to lead nationally in surgery sales.
With each new task providing new challenges and triumphs for Jean Ann she devotes herself entirely into whatever task she takes on. Jean Ann shows all of us that no matter how we start life, we can choose the paths that we take and how we use our gifts. As Jean Ann once said, “I’ve always lived my life—loved my life—differently.”
Jean Ann is married with two children and two granddaughters, loves entertaining, hiking in the Colorado and Arizona mountains, working out, gardening, and enjoying horses.
Dr. William DePrez Inlow was born in Manilla, Indiana on November 27, 1890. He attended high school in Manilla for three years. Since a fourth year was unavailable in Manilla, he commuted to Shelbyville by train and graduated from Shelbyville High School on May 20, 1909.
At Indiana University, he studied Greek, algebra, and philology. Dr. Inlow always looked up to his grandfather, Dr. J.J. Inlow which lead to the decision to pursue medicine instead of becoming a classical scholar. He completed his Bachelors of Science in 1915, his Masters of Science in 1917, and graduated from Rush Medical College in 1917.
Dr. Inlow was a veteran of WWI where he served as an officer in the United States Army Medical Corps. He served through the Armistice. Afterwards, Dr. Inlow trained at the Mayo Clinic, working with both Dr. Will and Dr. Charles Mayo. Here, he developed the “Inlow fistula” which became a standard in experimental surgery.
Dr. Inlow set the standard of practice in creating the Inlow Clinic which was known throughout Indiana as a superior source of medical care. Dr. Inlow was a teacher, teaching surgery in Shelbyville to Urologic residents from Johns Hopkins University. He published documents on topics ranging from library science to geology. Dr. Inlow was an accomplished violinist, studying at the Indianapolis Conservatory of Music.
In 1975, Dr. Inlow was the recipient of the Arts and Humanities Award by the Shelby County Rotary Club. In his honor, the “Inlow Award” is given annually by the Priestley Society at the Mayo Clinic for top surgical research by a Fellow in their surgical program.
Dr. Inlow retired at the age of seventy, but only from the medical practice. He remained “young” and interested in everything until he died at age ninety.
Sandy E. Allen graduated from Shelbyville High School in 1973. While being the world’s tallest woman, as recognized by the Guinness World Book of Records, she was quite active in high school. Sandy was in Honor Society and Library Club, serving as the secretary/treasurer and vice president. She was a member of the Economics Club, Sunshine Society, and C.O.E Member of the Year as a senior. She was an Office of Education Assistant her senior year and President of the office her senior year.
Sandy was well known for being the Guinness World Record holder as the world’s tallest woman at seven feet, seven and one-quarter inches. During her lifetime, Sandy wrote a book, along with John Kleiman, called Cast the Giant Shadow: The Inspirational Life of Sandy Allen. She had a cameo in the academy award winning Italian film Fellini’s Casanova.
During her life, Sandy appeared in a variety of documentaries, TV shows, and movies. Each appearance had a central theme of embracing who you are no matter what other people say. When she spoke at public engagements, she championed the idea that it is alright to be different. With this message in mind, she produced “It’s OK to be Different,” an inspirational video filmed in Shelbyville, IN. All those who met Sandy were touched by her positive energy and encouraging messages. After a brief encounter with the lead singer of Split Enz in New York City, the singer/songwriter wrote the song “Hello Sandy Allen” in which he notes that her appearance never held her back.
Bruce was born and raised in Shelbyville, IN. He played football, basketball and ran track while in school. Bruce graduated with the class of 1979. He is a veteran of the U.S. Army. Bruce served a tour of duty in the 2nd Battalion, 75th Airborne Ranger Regiment and as an Airborne Pathfinder Team Sergeant in Europe, in the 12th Aviation Group. After military service, he earned a Bachelor of Arts with Honors in Forensic Studies from Indiana University, Bloomington, and an MBA from Indiana University’s Kelly School of Business in Bloomington. Bruce worked for 20 years in International Business, serving in various Human Resource, Organizational Development, and Business Leadership roles. He spent time in Europe, Asia, and Australia and in North, Central, and South America. Bruce has been a longtime supporter of the SHS Football Program and the Shelbyville Boys Club. He was recognized with the Jeremiah Milbank Award by the Boys and Girls Clubs of America in 2015. He has also been a Disabled American Veterans Commanders Club Contributor for over 20 years and a recognized Wounded Warrior Project Member. Bruce resides in Houston, Texas with his wife, Amy, and daughter Tori.
Josephine M. “Jo” Webster was a leader, innovator, and promoter of women’s rights in banking. Jo entered the financial field in 1958 as an Investment Research Analyst for a large midwest investment banking firm. In 1961 she completed a specialized two-year study program at the New York Institute of Finance. In 1971 she was designated as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), completing three program levels of the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts – the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. Jo was promoted to Vice President in charge of Equity Research in 1972 at AFNB, later known as Bank One. As a member of the Trust & Asset Management Group’s Investment Policy Committee, she was named as Manager of Personal Investment Services of the Trust Division in 1980 where she served until her retirement. In 1981, Indianapolis Business called Jo “Indiana’s first lady of banking and trust investments.” In October 1981, Jo completed her term as President of the National Association of Bank Women, Inc., which represents the professional interests and promotes the career advancement of over 25,000 women bank officers in the U.S. and Canada. Jo became the first woman President of the Indianapolis Society of Financial Analysts in 1977-1978 and was selected as the first recipient of the Businesswomen of the Year Award by the Indianapolis Business & Professional Women’s Club in 1979. In 1980, Jo was invited by President Carter for the White House signing of the 1980 Omnibus Banking Bill. Also, in 1980, as a tribute to her leadership roles and career achievements, Governor Otis Bowen M.D. designated Jo a “Sagamore of the Wabash.” Jo was a Shelbyville native and proud graduate of Shelbyville High School, class of 1942. She loved family, enjoyed sports, and was an avid tennis player.
Lieutenant General Ralph Kaspar Rottet (1911-1971) was born in Jasper, IN, and grew up on Elm Street in Shelbyville, IN, graduating from Shelbyville High School in 1929. He was a member of the Hi-Y, the Honor Society, and participated in several sports, including basketball. During high school, he worked in a grocery store and delivered ice from a horse-drawn wagon. In the summers, he caddied at a golf course, and was recommended to the U.S. Naval Academy by a doctor for whom he caddied. After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1934, he accepted a commission in the United States Marine Corps. He saw action as a Marine pilot in World War II and in the Korean Conflict. He received the Air Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross, and Bronze Star with Combat V for heroism and extraordinary achievement in aerial flight as a pilot during the Marshall Islands campaign of 1944. He held numerous assignments, the last being as Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs of the Marine Corps. He received the Distinguished Service Medal upon his retirement in 1968. He and his wife moved to North Carolina, where he resided until his death in 1971.
Bob was born in Shelbyville in 1943. He attended Addison Twp. Elementary school before graduating from SHS. He played football and was in Choir and Show Group. He joined the Shelbyville Police Department in 1965 and attended the Indianapolis Police Academy, graduating first in his class. He then graduated from the F.B.I National Academy in 1973, earning credit from the University of Virginia. He served as Chief of Police for eight years, retiring in 1985 to become the first Adult Protective Services Investigator for Shelby and three other counties. He was elected Shelbyville City Councilman, At-Large (1988-91) and Mayor (1992-95.) He worked for the Indiana Department of Transportation from 1996-2009, retiring as District Deputy Commissioner of the Seymour District. He is Past President of the F.B.I National Academy Association of Indiana, Indiana Association of Chiefs of Police, Police League of Indiana, and the Fraternal Order of Police. He has served on numerous boards and commissions nationally, state-wide, and locally. At the time of his induction, Bob was a member of the Board of Public Works and Safety and the Sewage Utility Board for Shelbyville. Bob received numerous awards including the Chamber of Commerce Lifetime Achievement Award and Citizen of the Year award, and Sagamore of the Wabash. He has two children, Andy and Chrissy, and he and Becky Mocas have five grandchildren.
Born in Shelbyville in 1952 Philip attended Pearson and Shelby Township Elementary Schools before graduating from Shelbyville High School in 1970. He was active in many organizations serving as President of the Junior Class and the Student Council. He continued his education at Purdue University where he obtained a B.S. degree in Industrial Management. In 1974 Philip joined his family’s business. During his tenure, Shelby Materials has grown into one of central Indiana’s largest suppliers of ready-mixed concrete and aggregates with plants located throughout central Indiana. A lifetime resident of Shelbyville, Philip has been active in numerous community organizations. He helped to found and later served as president of the Shelby County Development Corporation. He has been a board member for Major Hospital, Shelby County Chamber of Commerce, J Kenneth Self Boys club, Shelby County Babe Ruth Baseball, and Indiana Constructors Inc. along with serving on the Shelbyville Redevelopment Commission. He was inducted into the Indiana Ready Mixed Concrete Association Hall of Fame and received the Lifetime Service Award from the J. Kenneth Self Boys Club. Philip is an active member of the First Christian Church. He and his wife Nancy Owens Haehl (SHS '71), were married in 1975. They have two children, Matt (SHS '96) and Aaron (SHS ’99), and two grandchildren.
Gary was a standout athlete at SHS, lettering in football, basketball, and track. He received SHS’s Paul Cross Award in 1956 and was co-winner in 1957. Gary attended Indiana University, earning his BS in 1961 and his MBA in 1962. While at IU, he was a member of the men’s basketball team, was team captain his senior year, earned the Big 10 Medal Award, was named All-American Honorable Mention and served as the I-Men’s Club president as an undergraduate. He was a graduate assistant basketball coach and later sat on the I-Association Board of directors and served as Sigma Nu fraternity president. Professionally, Gary was an industrial engineer and market analyst for Eli Lilly & Co., and an independent Jostens’ representative, earning their highest award at the time of his retirement. Gary was inducted into the Indiana High School Basketball Hall of Fame (1994) and was awarded IU’s Z.G. Clevenger Award in 1998 for “outstanding contributions to Indiana University through service to its athletic program.” Gary and wife Nancy have three sons and eight grandchildren.
Born in Missouri in 1906, Arthur R. “Doc” Barnett was raised in Homer, Indiana where his father was a country doctor. Although he lived in Rush County, “Doc” rode the train to attend Shelbyville High School where he graduated in 1924. That year, he was the Paul Cross Award recipient and was on the May Court. After graduating from the University of Michigan, he began teaching high school in Shelbyville. “Doc” was not only a biology and health teacher, but also a coach, mentor, and inspiration to his students. In his commercial geography class, he borrowed a movie camera and filmed what is now a time capsule of life and work in Shelbyville, Indiana in 1938. His greatest reward as an educator was seeing his students achieve success in life, especially those entering careers in health related fields. When World War II impacted our country, he was told by recruiters that he could best serve at home. He developed conditioning programs and promoted proper nutrition with his students. He continued working for the school as the interim head basketball coach where, in spite of criticism, he fought to make sure his talented players saw their time on the court, despite their race. He was a product of his time but did not subscribe to injustice which was one of traits that endeared him to his students and won the respect of his players. His dedication, especially to those on the “B” team, led to a championship title in 1947. Additional school involvement included serving as the sponsor of the “S” Club and managing concessions at football games. For many years, he served as the baseball coach, bringing home many SCC titles. He began the summer little leagues, growing the teams from a handful of participants to over 500. He taught at SHS for 40 years, retiring in 1973. Outside of school and athletics, “Doc” was the deacon of the First Christian Church. He enjoyed life in Shelbyville with his wife and helpmate, Hanne. Doc passed away in 1987.
Tom Dierckman graduated from Shelbyville High School in 1966. He was an Eagle Scout and participated in a wide variety of sports and other activities. Tom was recipient of the 1965 Kiwanis Football Award and a full Navy academic scholarship. His Mechanical Engineering degree was completed at the University of Illinois in 1971. He later completed his Master of Science in Engineering, Construction Management, at the University of California, Berkeley.
After his commissioning in the US Navy Civil Engineer Corps, Tom completed a total of 28 years of active and reserve service, retiring at the rank of Captain in 1999. From 1982 until the company was acquired in 2004, Dierckman helped lead The Newhall Land and Farming Company, where he was named President of Valencia Company in 1994, and General Partner, Newhall General Partnership, in 2001. He was responsible for all aspects of residential, commercial and industrial development for the 15,000 acre “New Town” of Valencia, California. From 2008 to 2014, Tom served as staff to Congressman Buck McKeon for service academy nominations. He has also served on many business and government Boards and been recognized for extraordinary service to various community organizations, including the Boys and Girls Club and College of the Canyons. In 2012, he was named Santa Clarita Valley Man of the Year. Tom and his wife, Sandy, have two sons, Matt and Chris, who are married to Nicole and Allie. They have two grandchildren, Colton and Grace.
Born in Shelbyville in 1941 Bart attended Thomas A. Hendricks Elementary School and graduated from Shelbyville High School in 1958. He lettered in tennis, cross country, and baseball. He graduated with a B.S. in Business in 1962 and received his J.D. from the Indiana School of Law Bloomington in 1965. While an undergraduate he was a two-time All Big Ten baseball player and in 1961 was the second leading hitter in the Big Ten. He joined his father’s life insurance firm in Indianapolis where he remains as Chairman and CEO. Kaufman Financial Corporation provides wealth transfer strategies to wealthy families throughout the United States. He is listed in Who’s Who In the Midwest, Who’s Who In America, and Who’s Who In Finance and Industry. He is active in numerous philanthropies including the Indiana University Foundation, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and Congregation Beth El Zedeck. He and his wife Judy were married in 1962 and are the parents of four children and thirteen grandchildren.
Jay was humble, kind, caring and always anxious to help others. He grew up in Shelbyville and was very active in 4-H. Jay was a proud alumnus of SHS where he was president of his sophomore and senior classes. At Purdue, he was the Director of Student Government Services, and was one of five 4-H students sent to Washington, D.C. to represent Indiana. In 1970, he received his MBA from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business. Jay had an
accomplished 35-year career at Eli Lilly & Co. working mostly in finance. Jay was especially committed to his extensive church work and community service. He loved working with youth, missions, and Stephen Ministry. In 2010, Jay received the Blueprint Champion Volunteer Award for his work with homeless intervention and prevention in Indianapolis. Jay died Sept. 13, 2014, just one month after his 50th high school reunion. He was a beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend to all. “A Life Well Lived” is how Jay will be remembered by the many people whose lives he touched.
Joe Harlan considers the guidance from his parents and training from his teachers at SHS as the foundation that has enabled a successful global business career. Upon graduating from Indiana University in 1981 with a degree in finance, Joe embarked on a career that took him to the General Electric Company, 3M Corporation and to his current role at The Dow Chemical Company. Through years of hard work, perseverance and desire to take on major challenges, he worked his way through a variety of roles in the U.S., Europe and Asia, resulting in his being named a GE company officer at the young age of 40. After serving as chief financial officer at GE Lighting, Joe spent 10 years as CEO of 3M’s largest subsidiary as well as two of its largest businesses. In 2011, he joined The Dow Chemical Company, where he currently serves as vice chairman of Market Businesses and chief commercial officer. He is a member of Dow’s most senior leadership, and his deep insights along with his sharp focus on delivering value have been critical in Dow’s transformation as a company. Through it all, Joe has not forgotten his roots. He considers his biggest accomplishment as being in a position to give back to those who inspired him to reach for the stars, while also staying grounded: his family, friends, educators and the communities in which he lives.
A life-long resident of Shelbyville, Lee graduated from Wabash College and Indiana University (Bloomington) School of Law. Lee has practiced law in Shelbyville for more than 50 years, and is Senior Partner of the firm of McNeely Stephenson. A widely recognized lawyer and mediator, Lee has served as President of the Indiana State Bar Association, the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, and the Indiana Lawyers Commission, as well as serving on the Board of Governors of the Indiana State Bar Association on five occasions. Lee has been active in his community, receiving the Chamber of Commerce Lifetime Citizenship Award in 2003. Also active in politics, Lee has served as both a member and chairman of several Federal Judicial Merit Selection Commissions, charged with the responsibility of recommending individuals to the President of the United States for appointment as Federal Judges, U.S. Attorneys, and U.S. Marshalls. He has been honored as a recipient of the Sagamore of the Wabash award on six occasions by five different Governors. An active supporter of his Alma Mater, he is a member of the Kappa Sigma Hall of Fame, has served on the Board of Trustees of Wabash College, and was named Wabash College Man of the Year in 1995. Lee and his wife, Rose, have four children and ten grandchildren.
Phil was born and raised in Shelbyville. After SHS, he attended Wabash College and Indiana University, receiving a B.A. degree in 1957. He then married his high school sweetheart and SHS prom queen, Nancy E. Taylor, and enrolled and graduated from the I.U. School of Law, Bloomington, in 1960. At the time of his induction, Phil had practiced law for 54 years, was the senior member of his law firm, and was a well-known mediator, having mediated more than 2,000 cases for courts throughout central Indiana. Professionally, Phil served on the Indiana State Bar Association Board of Governors (1983-84; 1993-94), and the Bar Association honored Phil with a Presidential Citation in 1984, the Cinch Strap Award in 1994, and the Golden Career Award in 2010. Phil was a Master Fellow of the Indiana Bar Foundation and received the Foundation’s 2007 Pro Bono Publico Award. In the public sector, Phil served as Shelby County Prosecuting Attorney (1963-66), as Shelbyville City Attorney (1972-75; 1976-79), and as a Governor’s appointee to the Board of Directors of the Hoosier Alliance Against Drugs (1989-95), the STAR Alliance (1995-97), and the Indiana State Police Board (1982-89). For his service to the State, Phil received two Sagamore of the Wabash Awards, one from a Democrat Governor and one from a Republican Governor. Locally, Phil served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Blue River Community Foundation, the Shelby County Players, and as Chairman of the Planned Giving Committee of the Major Hospital Foundation.
Harry attended “Little” Marion, Shelbyville Jr. High and Sr. High School. As a 2-time Paul Cross Award winner, Harry was a 1970 Indiana All Star. At the University of Texas, he was the point guard for 2 Southwest Conference Championship teams, playing in the NCAA “Big Dance” in 1972 and 1974. His Longhorn career earned him the coveted Jack Gray Award, selection to the UT All-Decade Team (1970-79) and the All-Century Team (1906-2006). Coaching at the University of Alaska Anchorage gave him the opportunity to expand the Great Alaska Shootout into a renowned college basketball tournament. His UAA Seawolf teams achieved many milestones including participating in the 1st NCAA basketball game above the Arctic Circle in Kotzebue, AK. Harry was named “Div. II Coach of the Year” by Basketball Times in 1992. He was inducted into the University Of Alaska Hall Of Honor in 2005. Returning to SHS in 2000 to coach the Golden Bears, he led the 2005-06 team to a 21-0 undefeated regular season. Playing in the last game in the Paul Cross Gym and the first game in Garrett Gymnasium, Harry relates to the history of the Golden Bears. As a teacher, coach, and administrator, he is a family man, cherishing Betsy, his wife, their three children and seven grandchildren. Harry often shares the value of “family” with his players, students, coaches and friends.
Charles D. O'Conner was born in Utica, New York, and has lived in Shelbyville since 1956. Charles graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1968 and earned his law degree from Indiana University Law School in Indianapolis in 1972. Charles served as captain in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1972 to 1978. He practiced law for four years and became the first County Court judge in 1976. Charles returned to the practice of law from 1978 to 1982 when he was elected as judge of the Shelby Circuit Court, a position he held for over 30 years. Charles has been a member of the boards of the Girls Club, Shelby Red Cross, Shelby County Mental Health Association, Shelby County Division of the Salvation Army, Hospice of Shelby County, Shelby County Domestic Task Force, and the St. Joseph School Commission. Charles has been a member of the St. Joseph Church for over 50 years. He served as a big brother in the Shelby County Big Brother Program. Charles and his wife, Brenda, are the parents of five children and grandparents of five grandchildren.
Jerry Vernon Higgins was born and raised in Shelbyville. He earned his bachelor’s degree from Franklin College and his master’s degree from Indiana University. Jerry was an educator by profession, and taught thirty years in the Shelbyville Central Schools system. He also coached both boys and girls golf, leading the boys team to a state ranking. Above all, Jerry was civic-minded. He began a side career in politics by running for city council in 1968, which led to a victorious run for mayor in 1972, and later a run for state legislator. In all, Jerry served his community in an elected capacity for twenty years. During this time, he and his wife of nearly fifty years, Ellen, raised six children. This was apparently not enough to keep Jerry busy, as he also served on the Boys Club Board of Directors, was a member of the Elks, Eagles and Masonic Lodges, state and national teacher associations, and was a member and deacon at First Christian Church. Jerry was a recipient of the Sagamore of the Wabash, and was extremely proud of this honor. Even after exiting the political arena, Jerry could be found engaging in lively discussions about local politics, mentoring candidates, or involving himself in some cause. Jerry V. Higgins truly loved Shelbyville, and always wanted the best for its citizens and the city.
Stephen C. Moberly was born in Shelbyville and lived here for 63 years. He graduated from Indiana University in 1963 and the IU School of Law in 1966. He practiced law in Shelbyville for 30 years and then served as the CEO of the Indiana Retired Teachers Association for 10 years. In 1972, he was elected to the Indiana House of Representatives where he served for 18 years, the longest tenure ever for a Shelby County legislator. During his legislative service, he was the principal author or sponsor of significant new laws guaranteeing the public access to governmental meetings, establishing the direct primary election in place of conventions to nominate candidates for Governor and U.S. Senator, improvements in the state Ethics and Lobbyist Reform Acts, the firstever Indiana Main Street Program, and the State Constitutional Amendment on Gubernatorial Succession. Over 1500 Shelby County students served as his legislative pages. Through his chairmanship of the Local Government Study Commission, all of Indiana’s local government laws were rewritten into the new Title 36 of the Indiana Code, and over 200 archaic laws were repealed. He served on the boards of the Shelbyville Public Library, the Red Cross, Girls, Inc., Leadership Shelby County, Shelby County ARC, Rotary Club, Arts Council, and as the professional division chair of SCUFFY. In 2008-2009, he served as the National Chair of the Indiana University Alumni Association representing over 530,000 alumni.
Marilyn, after being widowed in 1951 from her first husband, Hebert McCabe, worked for the Red Cross, first at Camp Atterbury & then around the world - Japan, India, Korea (including the POW exchange & with a MASH unit) and finally in Europe, after marrying her second husband, Lt. Col. Harlan W. Hendrick. After his death, she moved back to Shelbyville to raise her son & earned a BA in European History (Cum Laude) in 1979 from IU. A published author, she wrote articles of her Red Cross experiences & a manuscript based on her husband’s diaries from WWII. Public service included Precinct Chairman for 8 years & election to the Shelbyville City Council from 1976-88, 7 years as President. She was President of the Shelby County GOP Club, GOP Women’s Club & GOP Vice-Chairman. She also helped establish the Leadership Academy and was on the Indiana Cities & Towns Executive Board for 4 years. Her honors included the Jaycees’ Good Citizen Award, Zonta Service Award, "Sagamore of the Wabash" from Governor Orr, Business & Professional Women "Woman of the Year" & Marilyn Hendrick Day with a Key to the City. She was a long time member of the 1st Methodist Church, BPW, the Chamber of Commerce & the IU Alumni Association. Former State Representative Steve Moberly, wrote of her, "She broke the glass ceiling for women to successfully gain election to the City Council and was the epitome of a good citizen & public servant".
Arthur M. Thurston was born in Boulder, Colorado but lived most of his life in Shelby County, IN. He graduated from SHS in 1932 and from Indiana University in 1936. From 1937-1948 Arthur served with the Federal Bureau of Investigation first in the U.S. then as FBI liaison in London, the OSS, a Lieutenant in the U. S. Navy as Naval Intelligence in China and then the Central Intelligence Agency. At the end of WW II, he stayed in Japan serving under General McArthur to reorganize the Japanese Imperial Police Force. In 1949 he was appointed superintendent of the Indiana State Police and left that position in 1952 when he became executive vice president of Farmers National Bank. In 1953 he became president and then chairman of FNB and a director where he stayed until his retirement in 1993. Art was honored as a Sagamore of the Wabash by two separate governors. He was a director of J. O. Parrish Enterprises, a director of the Indianapolis Stock Yard, served as chairman of the Indiana Economic Development Authority and as president of Shelbyville Industrial Development. Through the Blue River Foundation, Art endowed a fund for the preservation of their headquarters, the old Shelby Central Administration Building. In his heart, Art was a farm boy from Indiana. He loved nothing more than being in the fields, observing the seasons in central Indiana.
John C. DePrez was publisher of The Shelbyville News from its inception in 1947 until his death July 1, 1988, during which time it was twice named Indiana’s Blue Ribbon Daily by the Hoosier State Press Association. He was elected to the Indiana Journalism Hall of Fame in 1995. He was active in community affairs and attracting new industry through Shelbyville Industries and Shelby Industrial Development. A 1930 graduate of SHS and 1934 of Purdue University with a mechanical engineering degree, John C. was a co-founder of Shelby County United Fund for You (SCUFFY). He began his business career in the 1930s by managing the family-owned ice and coal delivery company. A veteran of World War II, he was discharged as a major. He was given the first Lifetime Achievement Award by the Shelby County Chamber of Commerce in 1988. His great friend and fellow SHS classmate George Stubbs said of him: “All of this (economic development) seemed like additional work for a newspaper publisher, but John C. did not look at it this way. To him it was a part of his job to help his community. John C. never wanted to take credit or thanks for what he had done. He felt that this was his job and a part of his work as a newspaperman. The help which he gave his community will last for years and be a blessing forever…John C. DePrez made journalism an important influence in the whole community - a lesson that all newspaper people should learn."
A distinguished journalist, nationally-syndicated columnist and political commentator, Dan began his career in 1956 after graduating from Indiana University, where he was editor-in-chief of the Daily Student and president of the IU Student Foundation. Following two years of service in the Army, he was assigned to the Scripps Howard Newspaper Alliance in Washington, D.C. in 1964. He became chief congressional correspondent in 1966, assistant managing editor for investigations in 1972, vice president/news for Scripps Howard Newspapers in 1986, and a vice president of the parent E.W. Scripps Co., in 1992. During the 60s and 70s, he was named by Washingtonian Magazine as one of the nation’s top investigative reporters, covering major scandals such as Chappaquiddick and Watergate along with three presidential campaigns and every political convention from 1960 to 2004. He appeared on a variety of national television shows, including C-Span, Face the Nation, and the Washington Week in Review. Dan is a trustee of Franklin College, a longtime trustee and vice president of the Scripps Howard Foundation, and a member of the National Public Affairs Council for IU, the White House Correspondent’s Assoc., and Gridiron Club of Washington. He was named to the Washington Journalism Hall of Fame and Indiana Academy in 1993, and the Indiana Journalism Hall of Fame in 1997.
As a member of the first graduating class of SHS, Charles developed an early interest in law and English history. He attended the University of Michigan from 1872-1875, being admitted to the Indiana Bar Association in 1877. He opened his own law practice and was elected to the Indiana state legislature in 1886. His first novel, When Knighthood Was in Flower, was published in 1898, holding a place on the New York Times bestselling list for nearly three years. The novel was adapted in to a popular Broadway play in 1901, with film adaptations in 1908, 1922, and by Walt Disney Pictures in 1953. He continued to write and publish novels and children’s adventure stories, two of which are recognized by the Library of Indiana Classics. He is well known by the children of Shelbyville as the author of The Bears of Blue River written in 1901. A sculpture symbolic of The Bears of Blue River graces the north entrance of the public square in Shelbyville. Charles was a Purdue University trustee from 1902 until his death in 1913.
Arriving in 1906 as a three-year-old immigrant from Poland , Nate became one of the most successful alums in sports, business and philanthropy in the history of SHS. As a Paul Cross Award winner in 1922, his athletic accomplishments include coaching St. Joseph H.S. to the Catholic national basketball finals in 1926. As one of Indiana’s most respected high school and small-college basketball referees, he was chosen to referee five straight Indiana state basketball championship games from 1936-1940 and was inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 1967. For over 20 years, he was the most successful agent in the history of the Indianapolis Life Company. As a founding father and main fundraiser for SCUFFY, the Shelbyville Boys Club, and the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame, he was also a fundraiser with Danny Thomas for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital . Nate was honored with the David Ben-Gurion Award, conferred by the State of Israel in 1979.
A pioneer among women in science, teaching and research, Dr. Fleming earned her B.S. in physics from Hanover College in 1946 and M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in 1948 and 1955 respectively. She was a Professor of Physics, Emerita, at Wellesley College in MA, where she taught for 50 years, dean from 1968 to 1972, wrote a successful textbook published in 1978, and served as department chair and director of the Science Center. Hanover honored her with an Alumnae Award in 1963 and an Honorary D.Sc. in 2003. She was the first recipient of Wellesley to receive the Pinanski Prize for Distinguished Teaching and the Janet Guernsey Award for Exceptional Lifetime Achievement for her service to faculty, students and alumnae. In 2009, prior to her death, she was named Alumni Fellow by the UW Physics Department. Her students included the first woman astronaut to command a space shuttle and many budding professors. Her passion for leading and teaching women to succeed in the field of physics will forever endure through several scholarship funds established in her name.
Gene received his undergraduate degree at Ball State University in 1950 and M.S. in Education at Butler University in 1958. He was a member of the 1949 undefeated Ball State University football team and served in the U.S. Navy. Gene is well known and respected as a dedicated husband, father, grandfather, public servant, 35-year educator, coach, and generous volunteer and supporter of the Shelbyville Golden Bears. Many of his former students have followed in his footsteps, often coming to him for advice. He served on the Shelbyville City Council for 24 years. Gene was born, raised and has lived his entire life in Shelbyville and is a pillar in our community and our schools.
John received a B.A. in Zoology from IU in 1970 and his M.D. from the IU School of Medicine in 1973. He trained in Internal Medicine and Psychiatry at the Mayo Clinic and then joined the medical faculty at Texas A and M University. In 1981, he returned to Indiana as Director of Consultation and Liaison Psychiatry at IU School of Medicine. He was the President of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, a Director on the American Board of Family Medicine, and a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. Dr. Hayes moved to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis in 1988, becoming its President by 1998. He then joined Eli Lilly, ultimately becoming Vice President for Lilly Research Laboratories in 2004. He served as Chairman of the Board of the Indiana Health Industry Forum and on the boards of many other companies and not-for-profit institutions, as well as authoring scientific publications and serving as visiting faculty at various medical institutions over the course of his career.
Dan’s SHS cross country and track experience propelled him toward becoming a NCAA Division I Cross Country All-American at Indiana University, where he was a Metz Scholar and awarded the Big Ten Medal for achievements in academics and athletics. He holds a B.A. in Biology and an M.S. in Biochemistry from IU. He also graduated from the IU School of Medicine with honors in 1979. After clinical training in Internal Medicine at Southwestern Medical School-Parkland, Dan trained in Medical Oncology at Harvard Medical School’s Dana Farber Cancer Institute. He joined the faculty and became Director of the Breast Evaluation Center. He later became Director of Breast Cancer Programs at Georgetown University’s Lombardi Cancer Center. Dan then joined the Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Michigan School of Medicine, where he was recently installed as the Padnos Family Professor of Breast Oncology. Dr. Hayes is considered one of the top international leaders in breast cancer research and treatment. His accomplishments were honored by the American Society of Clinical Oncology in 2007, when he was named the inaugural recipient of the Gianni Bonadonna Breast Cancer Award. He has been recognized as a member of both America’s and Detroit’s Top Doctors.
As the 1976 Paul Cross Award recipient and senior class president, John Hartnett continually exuded enthusiasm for the Shelbyville community. John was on the Dean’s List for five semesters and received academic honors while earning his B.A. from Franklin College in 1980 and his M.A. from Butler University in 1993. His dedication to the Shelbyville community transitioned into his professional career as the Executive Director of the J. Kenneth Self Shelbyville Boys Club. In addition, John has served as the Indiana Boys and Girls Clubs Association Board of Directors, Shelby County Babe Ruth Board of Directors, the Shelby County Drug-Free Coalition, and the Franklin College “Leaders for Life” campaign committee. He has also served for the Shelby County United Fund Basketball Tournament, the Shelby Shootout, and other not-for-profit boards and committees. He was named the Shelbyville Optimist Club “Citizen of the Year” in 1990, and since 1995 has served as the Freshman Football Coach for the Golden Bears. To summarize the thoughts of so many others, "John's dedication and passion to 'Kids First' is an inspiration to all of us.”
On June 5, 1918, Paul Cross made the supreme sacrifice. He was the first Shelby County resident to die in action during WWI. The Paul Cross Rotary Award is given each year to an SHS Boys’ Basketball team member. An excerpt from the Shelby Democrat on June 13, 1918 read:
"All of Shelby county will pay tribute to Paul F. Cross, the first Shelby County soldier to give up his life for his country in the war with Germany, next Sunday afternoon and evening, when two memorial services will be held in this city, one as a stimulant to the patriotic fervor of the entire county and the other a solemn service in honor of this brave Shelby County boy."
Bill was a three-sport star athlete at Shelbyville High School and he led his basketball team to the 1947 State Championship and was named Indiana Mr. Basketball. While starring at Indiana University, Bill became the first African-American to play regularly in the Big 10. He continued playing for the Harlem Globetrotters after college. Bill coached basketball at Crispus Attucks High School and his team won the 1959 State Championship. He later became involved as a dean at IUPUI. Bill died of a heart attack at the age of 45. The Shelbyville High School Gymnasium is named in his memory.
Roland was a 1958 SHS graduate and received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Indiana University. He taught in the Shelbyville Central School system for 40 years. Roland was a member of the Shelbyville City Council (1988-2002), and served as State Representative for House District 57 (2002-2003). Roland served as a role model for his students and made many positive contributions to his community through his passion for public service. Roland was killed by a drunk driver on April 24, 2003.
A 1961 SHS graduate and recipient of the Paul Cross Award, Tom graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1965 from IndianaUniversity, and from Harvard Law School in 1968. Tom's distinguished legal career includes serving as legal officer of the United Nations, as Deputy General Counsel in the White House Trade Office, practicing international law in Washington D.C., and as a visiting professor of law at Georgetown University and the University of North Carolina. He is best known locally as the co-author, with his daughter, of the book Getting Open, a story about Bill Garrett and the racial divide that existed in Indiana, which won the 2007 Best Book of Indiana award for nonfiction.
Ron was a 1963 SHS graduate and recipient of the Paul Cross Award. Ron graduated from Franklin College in 1967 and from the Harvard Business School, Executive Development Program (P.M.D.) in 1976. He taught and coached at SHS in 1968-69 before beginning a distinguished career in the magazine business in 1969. Most notably, Ron was President and CEO of Readers Digest, Canada, and later Publisher of Readers Digest magazines worldwide. A leader and volunteer, Ron has given his time to organizations such as the Madison Square Boys Girls Club and to train guide dogs for the blind at Guiding Eyes for the Blind in New York.